US OPEN 2011: An Interview With Caroline Wozniacki

By JUAN CARLOS CORDERO, UNO International News Service.

Sitting and talking across the table with Caroline Wozniacki, make an impression. She knows is the current Queen of World Tennis but still has not won a Grand Slam trophy. Not yet, but this US Open is the final opportunity in 2011. She has mantained her WTA Ranking with stable wins and has a big point distance with the players underneath her.

"It doesn't bother me that people say and ask about the big tournamente. But I won six tournaments this year already. So I am not worry at all. The WTA Tour is very competitive".









In Toronto and Cincinnatti, Caroline had early exits, but she is not planning that for the US Open, even with the monster and powerful return of Serena Williams.

The top men's and women's seeds in Novak Djokovic and Caroline Wozniacki are in action during Day 2 of the 2011 US Open and catching the action will be New York Mets pitcher Jason Isringhausen. The night session features defending US Open champion Rafael Nadal and three-time champ Serena Williams, actor Alexander Skarsgard of True Blood, ESPN personality Sal Masakela and Sean Avery of the New York Rangers will be in attendance.

Wozniacki cruises into second round at the US Open


NEW YORK.- Caroline Wozniacki cruised into the second round of the U.S. Open on Tuesday with a 6-3 6-1 demolition of unseeded Spaniard Nuria Llagostera Vives, sending a signal that the world's top-ranked player may be ready to claim her first grand-slam victory.

Wozniacki, the U.S. Open runner-up in 2009, blasted 22 winners and never lost her serve to defeat her Spanish opponent in one-hour and 20 minutes under sunny skies at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

The Dane was particularly effective at the net, winning 14 of 17 points.

In the second round, Wozniacki will play either Arantxa Rus of the Netherlands or Russian Elena Vesnina.


An Interview With Caroline Wozniacki

New York, USA
Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Q. I know it's early, but are you playing well enough to win this tournament?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, always first match is tough to indicate anything. But, you know, happy to be through. I definitely still have a chance because now there's only 64 left.

Q. Mary Joe Fernandez and some of the TV people were saying in order for you to win a Grand Slam, you need to develop a big shot, a more aggressive shot, to beat Serena and Venus and those kind of players. Do you agree with that, or can you play the style you're playing and win?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: They can say what they want. I'm the type of player I am. I've won a lot of tournaments. I'm No. 1 in the world, and of course I can still improve. There are a lot of things to my game I can still improve, but everyone can. You know, I'm on the right track. I just go out there and I play the way I do, and, you know, hopefully that's good enough.

Q. You seemed very comfortable in attacking today. Is it part of your strategy now to try to set up yourself for an attack or just is it just taking advantage of a particularly good situation where it makes sense to come in?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, I usually play the way I need to to win a match, and, you know, I went in today. It was important for me to serve well, and I thought I started quite a few good points with my serve. And, you know, she's not a very tall player, so I tried to open up the court a little bit more and then tried to take advantage of the short balls that I got.

Q. Do you think it's fair to say that at times this summer you went a little bit away from your base, tried to improve too fast in matches, and maybe that's why you took some losses you usually wouldn't take?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think I'm a player that likes to play matches, and I always play better once I've got in that match mode. Yeah, I've gotten a couple of losses, but that's what happens. I tried a few things that didn't work out. But, you know, I came back last week and won in New Haven, which was a great feeling. To win a tournament four times in a row is something special. I can't believe I've been there four times already. I'm 21 years old and I already feel like I'm a senior on tour.

Q. So how did you get yourself comfortable again last week?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, just, again, like I said, I went to my base. I know I have worked on some things, and I did those. But, again, I know what kind of player I am, and I am not gonna change the way I play. But I'm gonna add a few things to it like I always did. You know, I felt very comfortable last week. It's always nice to come back to a tournament that you've won before and a tournament where you feel at home. So last week was a good preparation for me.

Q. What mistakes did you make, do you feel, in those losses? What did you try and change that didn't really work out?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, I just made way too many unforced errors that I usually don't do. I think if you look at the stats they say it all. Again, I always play better when I've gotten a few matches and get into that match mode. It's different to play just practice sets. You know, you make a mistake, okay, you don't really feel the importance of some key moments. But you get those when you play matches.

Q. I understand you're friendly with a golfer Rory McIlroy who won golf's U.S. Open. Has he had a little fun with you about dare you to win this US Open, trying to keep up?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, well, you know, definitely trying to keep up. I'll definitely do my best, but I still have six tough matches to go, so it will not be easy. You know, he has something I'm looking for and I have something he's looking for. He wants to be No. 1. So it's good to have something on each other.

Q. Could you describe the difference playing on Arthur Ashe Ashe atmosphere wise and even condition wise in the day versus the night?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It's a huge difference. During the day I feel you feel the court is huge and you feel that it's farther to the sides. I don't know. The balls are flying a bit more, but that's normal. That's on every court. The balls are flying more when it's hot in the evening. It feels more compact because you can't see the upper stands when it's dark. Well, it's both. It's two special feelings, and it's great to be out there. I'm happy that I got to play, and hopefully my next match will be there as well.

Q. What's your confidence level now? Is it high coming off of New Haven, or do you look back at the summer and say, not so high?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, I mean, why shouldn't it be high? I'm No. 1 still and I've just won a tournament, so I'm feeling fine, I'm feeling good. Again, I lost two matches. That's what happens. You know, I just won four in a row; this was my fifth one. I'm feeling okay.

Q. Is there ever a time when being No. 1 feels more like a burden than an honor?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No. It's definitely an honor, and it's a dream for me to be there. You know, I'm trying to stay up there as long as possible, and doesn't really matter what people are saying. No one can ever take that away from me. I'm No. 1 in the world. I have been there for 46 weeks. So, I mean, that's a great achievement.

Q. So despite not winning a major at this point and only reaching the one final here two years ago, you're satisfied with what you've done to be No. 1?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Of course. I mean, I won six tournaments this year already. You know, I should definitely not be complaining. I'm in a good position. I'm in a good spot. I'm happy, healthy, and I can go out there and compete. That's what's most important. I'm winning a lot of matches, which is why we practice. We practice to win. Yeah, I've won a lot of matches, and that's what satisfies me.

Q. Are you sometimes amused by all this going on as though you didn't know how to play tennis?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, it's actually been nice the last three, four weeks because I haven't gotten any questions about No. 1. So, you know, now I know that I'm back on track. You know, I know that everyone has to write their stories, but I think it's we should move on. Ask me about something else, something more interesting.

Q. Any confessions of something else we should know about?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: (Smiling) Um, no. There has not been any kangaroos here, so maybe I'll find something else.

Q. There was some talk during the French Open that you were considering hiring Martina Navratilova to be your coach. Have there been any developments in this area of your game?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I was thinking about it at one point and we talked and everything, but there were a few things that didn't work out, and as well on the scheduling. But maybe in the future.

Q. Among other things, she would have been one of the few female tennis coaches on the women's tour. Why do you think there are so few female tennis coaches on the WTA Tour?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It's difficult to say. I think there is a lot of different reasons. I think first of all there is a lot of coaches who have been good players as well. The top 200, top 300 guys they're good hitting partners as well so you can both be on court and play but also he can be coaching. Whereas to get the right I don't know. To have two in one in the women's it's a bit more difficult, especially because a lot of the top women don't want to be coaches afterwards. They want to be something different. And also, I think women start having families, they want to be with their kids. It's a little bit different, I think.

Q. Where do things stand with you on the coaching front now? How settled are you there?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I'm settled. I like the way I have everything now. You know, I'm happy about things around my team. I'm happy about the way I'm playing, how everything is right now. So I can just focus on the things on court.

Q. It's not that common, though, for a top player to hire a mystery coach who is kind of in the background. Just talk about that from your perspective, because it is a little strange for you as No. 1 to make a major hire and basically no one except for you and your team know who it is.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, well, I have to respect him as well. So if he wants to be in the background and not have his name out, I have to respect that. So that's mainly why.

Q. Have you gotten any advice from him in the last week or two? I understand he's watching video. Are you talking to him?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I have, you know, even yesterday. You know, he's been watching me play and telling me a few things. It's good. It's working well.

Q. Being at Yale last week and being a 21 year old, do you ever think about taking college classes and going to university?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, definitely. It felt very good being there. I think that's why I play well there. There is a lot of young people around, a lot going on. It's nice to see them move into their dorms with their mattresses. It's definitely a cool feeling. It feels like you're part of it actually the week that you're there. Definitely. But it wouldn't be the same to do like a few classes, and then just it wouldn't be the same as to go there and actually live there. So definitely just to keep developing my brain, that would be good. But I wouldn't have time to actually live there, unfortunately.


Women's Bios









Caroline Wozniacki

Country: Denmark

Birth Date: 11 July 1990

Birth Place: Odense, Denmark

Residence: Monte Carlo, Monaco

Height: 5 ft. 10 in. ( 1.78 metres )

Weight: 128 lbs. ( 58.2 kilos )

Plays: Right

Turned Pro: 2005

Tournament Info


US Opens Played: 4

Event(s) Entered:

Women's Singles

Best Singles Performance: Finalist (2009)

Best Doubles Performance: 3rd Round (2009)





Player Overview

Career Singles Titles:

18

Career Doubles titles:

2

Career matches won:

251

Career matches lost:

94 Year to date matches Won:

53

Year to date matches lost:

12

Current 52 week rank for singles:

1 High rank for singles:

1 High rank for doubles:

52

Current 52 week rank for doubles:

278 High rank date for singles:

11 October 2010 High rank date for doubles:

14 September 2009

Career prize money:

$10,002,875 USD Year to date prize money for singles:

$2,305,204 USD Year to date prize money for doubles:

$825 USD







GRAND SLAM SINGLES RESULTS

Year Australian Open Roland Garros Wimbledon US Open



2007 - 1ST 2ND 2ND



2008 4TH 3RD 3RD 4TH



2009 3RD 3RD 4TH RUP



2010 4TH QF 4TH SF



2011 SF 3RD 4TH -







GRAND SLAM DOUBLES RESULTS

Year Australian Open Roland Garros Wimbledon US Open



2007 - - - 1ST



2008 2ND 1ST 1ST 2ND



2009 1ST 1ST 2ND 3RD



2010 1ST 2ND 2ND 2ND

LEGEND





WON Champion

RUP Runner Up

SF Semifinalist

QF Quarterfinalist

4TH Lost in Fourth Round

3RD Lost in Third Round

2ND Lost in Second Round

1ST Lost in First Round


Bio information courtesy of the WTA TOUR

Venus returns in one-match-at-a-time mode




Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Venus Williams hadn't played a match since Wimbledon. In fact, she had barely been able to practice since Wimbledon due to injury and mysterious virus.

But, no matter, because at least on one night she served consistent and huge and was fairly impressive off the ground in her 6-4, 6-3 victory over young and talented Russian Vesna Dolonts. In her previous 12 US Open appearances, Venus has always reached at least the fourth round, so she was not expected to go down early, but given that she has only played four tournaments in the past 13 months, it was difficult to know exactly what to expect out of her.

“It's always nerve wracking to play the first match after a layoff in a major,” she said. “It's not really my first choice at all. But I just tried to rely on experience and, I don't know, just tried to get after it. So I was pleased with the level.”

She should be, at least with her serve -- she clocked in one bomb at 126 mph, which she hit with speed and placed very well -- as well as with her forehand, her once weaker side that stood up strong. She appeared to move pretty well, too, which is somewhat remarkable, given that while rehabbing from a hip injury she caught an energy-sucking virus that took her out of the tournaments at Toronto and Cincinnati.

She isn't completely in rhythm yet and remarkably just returned to practice full time last week. Most of the time, she hit balls standing still. That's no way to go into a major, but the injury-riddled 31-year-old had no choice.

“I was able to stay on the court, only because my anxiety was high if I didn't play,” she said. “I was able to hit balls, but it wasn't like a real practice. In fact, my mind wasn't there. Let me try to make it to X number of times. I had to get ready fast. I couldn't do a lot, but I stayed on the court. I would bargain with myself and say, 'OK, you'll be happy when your serve is great.' So I had a basket of serves. I would be like, 'OK, this is going to pay off for you,' and so it has.”

This is the 10th anniversary of Venus' last (and second) title at the US Open, when she bested her sister Serena for the title in the tournament's first prime-time women's final. She has been through the wars since then, falling to a slew of other former No. 1s, including Lindsay Davenport (whom she did beat for the 2000 title), Martina Hingis, Justine Henin, Serena) and Kim Clijsters (three times, including in the past two years). She's had so many near misses that it seems she is destined to win another at an elderly tennis age, but unless she is suddenly blessed with her 21-year-old body, it's improbable she can pull the feat off.

“A lot of the battle is just trying to be fit and stay healthy,” she said. “Sometimes I've been losing that battle a lot. But I do feel like I can play six [more] matches. I need to win them. No one is more in one-match-at-a-time mode than me now at this tournament.”

In previous years when asked about her long layoffs, Venus said she was able to adjust being off court. But the past 15 months have been very difficult. She played 2010 Wimbledon and then didn't play again until the 2010 US Open. Then she didn't compete again until the 2011 Australian Open, which she admittedly shouldn't have played because she wasn't physically prepared. So she waited again until the week before Wimbledon at Eastbourne. Then she played at Wimbledon and disappeared again.

"I'll make the best of my time when I'm not on tour, so that helps a lot,” said Williams, who owns an interior design company. "So I still stay very busy. Definitely this summer I did start -- I'm never down. I started to get down this summer because all these things are out of my control. It's easier if it's something I've done, that I can control. When it's out of your control, at some point it does start to be frustrating.”

Venus could face Sabine Lisicki in the next round, who just won the title in Dallas and reached the Wimbledon semis. She's a young, huge server who isn't afraid of her elder stateswoman. Venus cannot afford to think far ahead because, at Wimbledon, she played three good matches before her level dropped through the floor in a loss to Tsvetana Pironkova. She must stay in the here and now, or she could suffer her earliest US Open exit ever.

“I have to live in the moment and just do what I can, try to correct my mistakes as I make them and continue good momentum as I have it, regardless of who's across the net,” she said. “Every player is different. It will be a different game plan going in with each player. I'll definitely try to play my best. I've lost before, and I've won before, too, and I can handle both.”



Venus Williams (USA) defeated Russian Vesna Dolonts 6-4, 6-3 in a women's singles 1st Round match at the 2011 US Open






You have read this article Caroline Wozniacki / Interview With Caroline Wozniacki / US OPEN 2011: Maria Sharapova weathers storm at sunny Open / Wozniacki cruises into second round at the US Open / WTA Women Tennis Williams Sisters with the title US OPEN 2011: An Interview With Caroline Wozniacki. You can bookmark this page URL http://meingeilesich.blogspot.com/2011/08/us-open-2011-interview-with-caroline.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...